Description of Services, Experience and Qualifications
• Collaborative Consultant
• Project Counsel
James L. Salmon, Esq. is President of Collaborative Construction Resources, LLC and the creator of the IPD in 3D ProgramTM and the BUILT SystemTM. James is an attorney, mediator, IPD facilitator and collaborative consultant who helps stakeholders in the AEC Industry implement IPD in 3DTM, the BUILT SystemTM, effective integrated agreements and IPD procurement programs. You can reach James at JamesLSalmon@gmail.com
- Provide collaborative consulting services to integrated BIM enabled teams – consisting of owners, designers and constructors – to increase efficiency and productivity in a collaborative environment
- Develop visionary business processes – including IPD in 3D™ and the BUILT SystemTM – to enable integrated BIM enabled teams to operate cooperatively in the public sector
- Launch IPD Round Table Series, a web-based series of collaborative workshop, to introduce participants to IPD, BIM and Lean processes as tools of efficiency
- Serve as editor of the BUILT – BIM to FM section of the AUGIWorld Magazine and author articles in the series
- Retained as a litigation consultant by law firms, contractors and designers to prepare expert witnesses to testify in complex construction disputes – including several involving public private partnerships worth more than $200 million – throughout the country
- Created web-based presentations detailing the key features of a new generation of legal instruments
- Launched and managed a series of national webinars introducing Collaborative Construction and IPD in 3D™ to owners, designers and constructors involved in planning, designing, constructing and maintaining complex facilities for public and private owners
- Wrote content for dozens of web-based presentations introducing AEC professionals to innovative business processes revolutionizing public and private procurement of integrated services
- Joined the National Building Information Model Standards (NBIMS) Project Committee as a contributing member, analyzed and presented seminars on the resulting NBIMS Protocol
- Selected as a member of the buildingSMARTalliance’s Business Process Integration Task Team charged with integrating BIM into everyday business processes
- Formulated practical business processes for the use of functional digital representations of facilities and infrastructure on public and private construction projects
- Joined the Lean Construction Institute to advocate the use by integrated BIM enabled teams of Lean Construction techniques
- Made a series of national presentations to public owners’ groups regarding implementation of the ConsensusDOCS 300 Series Tri-Party Agreement for Collaborative Project Delivery
- Worked with the Construction Users Round Table (CURT) locally and nationally to publicize Collaborative Agreements, BIM, Lean Construction and Integrated Project Delivery to public and private owners
- Founded and managed the 2,000+ member LinkedIn Group, Collaborative BIM Advocates which provides networking opportunities for like-minded professionals seeking to become members of integrated BIM enabled teams around the globe
- Edit, publish and distribute Collaborative Construction Newsletter and the BUILT - BIM to FM Section of AUGIWorld Magazine to members of the AEC industry, including integrated BIM enabled teams, around the globe
Trial and litigation experience involving construction claims
- $30 million school construction project. Litigated toxic mold claims related to alleged defects in construction and design in Preble County, Ohio. Won summary judgment on behalf of client-designer in the trial court.
- $10 million school construction project. Litigated collapse of portion of existing school that occurred during excavation for new addition. Settled claims on behalf of client-owner against general contractor on favorable terms.
- $280 million hotel and convention center project. Litigated almost 40 separate lien claims filed against general contractor. Settled dozens of claims for millions of dollars on terms favorable to client-general contractor.
- $25 million hotel project. Litigated toxic mold claims related to defective caulking of the EIFS cladding system on the hotel. Settled claims on terms favorable to owner client.
- $8 million wood chipping plant explosion case. Litigated claims filed by owner against designer of the fire suppression system installed during expansion of the plant. Settled claims on terms favorable to client-fire detection system manufacturer.
- $120 million mixed use project procured under P3. Litigated multiple contentious lien claims worth more than $8.0 million on behalf of subcontractors against bank and general contractor. On going. Subcontractor clients.
- $50 million coal processing plant. Litigated lien claims filed by subcontractors involved in supplying pipe to coal processing plant. Settled claims on terms favorable to subcontractor client.
- Multi million single family home development. Litigated toxic model claims related to failed brick work. Settled claims on terms favorable to home owner clients.
- $30 million power plant. Litigated dispute arising from alleged design defects in the flue. Settled claims on terms favorable to design client.
- $100 million highway construction project. Litigated multiple wrongful death claims arising out of an explosion that occurred when a DC-9 Cat drug a ripper through a gas pipeline main. Won summary judgment on behalf of general contractor client.
- $75 million highway construction project. Litigated claims arising from alleged design defects. Settled claim on terms favorable to design client.
- Defend, prosecute and mediate breaches of non-compete agreements, wage and hour claims, employment discrimination claims and general commercial disputes
- Pursue and defend claims for injunctive relief on the basis of non-compete agreements on behalf of a pharmaceutical companies, commodities traders and trainers
- Pursue and defend claims under FLSA, ADA, Title VII, § 1983, and other civil rights statutes
- Pursue and defend contract claims and tort claims for corporate and individual clients
- Guest lecturer at the University of Cincinnati College of Applied Sciences
- Experienced writing instructor and seminar presenter
- Taught paralegal course at Sheridan Community College
- Taught paralegal course at Laramie County Community College
- Teach AEC Professionals about IPD, BIM, Lean Construction and Collaborative Agreements
Collaborative Construction Resources, LLC
President, February 2008 to the present
Senior Associate, December 1999 to February 2008
Associate, September 1996, to December 1999
Adjunct Professor, September 1994 to January 1998
Law Clerk, September 1994, to September 1996
- Member, Fort Thomas Independent School District Fund Raising Task Force
- Creator of the Fort Thomas Collaborative Blog
- Member, Johnson Elementary School Site Based Decision Making Council
- Co-Chair, Marketing for Johnson Elementary School Fund Raiser
- President, Texas Tech University Alumni Chapter, Cincinnati
- Volunteer Mediator, Kentucky and Ohio Courts
- President, Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Texas Tech University
- Texas Tech University (B.A., 1991)
- University of Cincinnati (J.D., 1994)
- Certified Mediator, Administrative Office of the Courts, Kentucky
Available upon request
Welcome to the Collaborative Revolution!
James L. Salmon, Esq.
300 Pike Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Collaborative Construction Website
Sustainable Land Development International