Description of Services, Experience and Qualifications
James is uniquely positioned to assist in the formation and training of integrated teams. As the founder of Collaborative BIM Advocates, and the author of the Collaborative Construction Blog, James knows over 6,000 built industry professionals around the globe. In his role as a collaborative consultant James works with owners, contractors, designers, governmental entities and professional service providers to reduce waste and inefficiency on capital projects. James also teaches courses on BIM, VDC and IPD locally, regionally and internationally. The AGC, AIA, ASA, CURT, COOA, CITA out of Dublin, Ireland, the Lake Constance 5D conference in Germany, the Canadian Institute in Calgary and other national and international built industry oriented organizations routinely invite James to speak at conferences. In addition James has presented at the University of Cincinnati,the University of Calgary, Stuttgart University and others, while also teaching the cultural and legal implications of BIM and IPD to students enrolled in Middlesex University's masters level Building Information Modelling Management course in London.
James understands the challenge of operating in two realms simultaneously, the cut-throat shark tank of construction that we all know and love, and the trust based environment required to facility effective use of BIM by integrated teams. The Smart Built Culture program developed by James provides a path to changing the built industry's broken built culture. That culture, which is fragmented, adversarial and mistrustful must be replaced with a smart built culture that is integrated, collaborative and trustful if BIM and IPD are to be successfully deployed. But change is hard and such fundamental cultural changes are the hardest of all.
Collaborative Construction, and its partners, work with individual firms, integrated teams and governmental entities at many levels to bring that change about. James' Smart Built Culture Program can be tailored to meet the needs of a private organization, and ultimate the needs of that organization's collaborative partners and clients. If your company is interested in exploring how Collaborative Construction can help accelerate the necessary changes please contact us today.
As a litigator and experienced construction lawyer James knows what works and what doesn't work in the built industry. If your organization needs help adopting, adapting to or deploying building information modeling (BIM) or integrated project delivery (IPD) concepts internally, on behalf of a client or on a project call James today at 513-721-5672 or email him at JamesLsalmon@gmail.com
for a free 30 minute consultation.
Collaborative Construction's Integrated Project Delivery (IPD)X program deploys BIM and IPD effectively for owners, contractors, designers and other built industry professionals internally, externally and as teams.
Sophisticated institutional owners demand building information modeling (BIM) everyday without modifying their procurement process. This produces orphaned BIM that adds little value. Collaborative Construction and its strategic partners help owners and others in the built industry adopt and implement IPD procurement methods that empower integrated BIM enabled teams to deliver BIM enabled capital projects to owners ready to leverage BIM in operations and maintenance. In short, no one supports the creation of BIM enabled capital projects as efficiently and effectively as Collaborative Construction and its strategic partners.
Positioning your organization as an innovator and a leader on BIM and IPD enhances your credibility and competitiveness in the built industry. You and your team can be out of the blocks and around the track while others struggle to simply learn BIM. Mastering and effectively deploying these innovative new tools will give your organization a competitive advantage in the emerging knowledge economy.
Begin with a series of high quality, low cost Webinars and then following up with in person consulting as necessary. Collaborative Construction will arm your team with IPD & BIM solutions that work in your team’s market and meet the requirements of all stakeholders on the team.
• Collaborative Consultant
• Project Counsel
James L. Salmon, Esq. is President of Collaborative Construction Resources, LLC and the creator of the Smart Built Culture Program. James is an attorney, mediator, IPD facilitator and collaborative consultant who helps stakeholders in the AEC Industry craft, execute and implement effective integrated agreements on capital projects. You can reach James at JamesLSalmon@gmail.com
- Provide collaborative consulting services to integrated BIM enabled teams – consisting of owners, designers and constructors – to increase the efficiency with which such teams deliver capital projects
- Teach built industry professionals, students - both graduate and undergraduate - and others about the cultural and legal implications of BIM and IPD
- Develop visionary business processes – including the Smart Built Culture Program – that enable integrated BIM enabled teams to public sector capital projects more efficiently
- Launch IPD Round Table Series, a web-based series of collaborative workshop, to introduce participants to IPD, BIM and Lean processes as tools of efficiency
- Serve as editor of the BUILT – BIM to FM section of the AUGIWorld Magazine and author articles in the series
- Retained as a litigation consultant by law firms, contractors and designers to prepare expert witnesses to testify in complex construction disputes – including several involving public private partnerships worth more than $200 million – throughout the country
- Created web-based presentations detailing the key features of a new generation of legal instruments
- Launched and managed a series of national webinars introducing Collaborative Construction and IPD in 3D™ to owners, designers and constructors involved in planning, designing, constructing and maintaining complex facilities for public and private owners
- Wrote content for dozens of web-based presentations introducing AEC professionals to innovative business processes revolutionizing public and private procurement of integrated services
- Joined the National Building Information Model Standards (NBIMS) Project Committee as a contributing member, analyzed and presented seminars on the resulting NBIMS Protocol
- Selected as a member of the buildingSMARTalliance’s Business Process Integration Task Team charged with integrating BIM into everyday business processes
- Formulated practical business processes for the use of functional digital representations of facilities and infrastructure on public and private construction projects
- Joined the Lean Construction Institute to advocate the use by integrated BIM enabled teams of Lean Construction techniques
- Made a series of national presentations to public owners’ groups regarding implementation of the ConsensusDOCS 300 Series Tri-Party Agreement for Collaborative Project Delivery
- Worked with the Construction Users Round Table (CURT) locally and nationally to publicize Collaborative Agreements, BIM, Lean Construction and Integrated Project Delivery to public and private owners
- Founded and managed the 3,000+ member LinkedIn Group, Collaborative BIM Advocates which provides networking opportunities for like-minded professionals seeking to become members of integrated BIM enabled teams around the globe
- Author, edit, publish and distribute Collaborative Construction Blog and Newsletter to members of the AEC industry, including integrated BIM enabled teams, around the globe
Trial and litigation experience involving construction claims
- $140 million mixed use development in Cincinnati, Ohio. Served as BIM and IPD consultant to counsel representing trade contractors seeking in excess of $10 million in damages. Settled claims on terms favorable to trade contractor clients
- $30 million school construction project. Litigated toxic mold claims related to alleged defects in construction and design in Preble County, Ohio. Won summary judgment on behalf of client-designer in the trial court.
- $10 million school construction project. Litigated collapse of portion of existing school that occurred during excavation for new addition. Settled claims on behalf of client-owner against general contractor on favorable terms.
- $280 million hotel and convention center project. Litigated almost 40 separate lien claims filed against general contractor. Settled dozens of claims for millions of dollars on terms favorable to client-general contractor.
- $25 million hotel project. Litigated toxic mold claims related to defective caulking of the EIFS cladding system on the hotel. Settled claims on terms favorable to owner client.
- $8 million wood chipping plant explosion case. Litigated claims filed by owner against designer of the fire suppression system installed during expansion of the plant. Settled claims on terms favorable to client-fire detection system manufacturer.
- $120 million mixed use project procured under P3. Litigated multiple contentious lien claims worth more than $8.0 million on behalf of subcontractors against bank and general contractor. On going. Subcontractor clients.
- $50 million coal processing plant. Litigated lien claims filed by subcontractors involved in supplying pipe to coal processing plant. Settled claims on terms favorable to subcontractor client.
- Multi-million single family home development. Litigated toxic model claims related to failed brick work. Settled claims on terms favorable to home owner clients.
- $30 million power plant. Litigated dispute arising from alleged design defects in the flue. Settled claims on terms favorable to design client.
- $100 million highway construction project. Litigated multiple wrongful death claims arising out of an explosion that occurred when a DC-9 Cat drug a ripper through a gas pipeline main. Won summary judgment on behalf of general contractor client.
- $75 million highway construction project. Litigated claims arising from alleged design defects. Settled claim on terms favorable to design client.
- Defend, prosecute and mediate breaches of non-compete agreements, wage and hour claims, employment discrimination claims and general commercial disputes
- Pursue and defend claims for injunctive relief on the basis of non-compete agreements on behalf of a pharmaceutical companies, commodities traders and trainers
- Pursue and defend claims under FLSA, ADA, Title VII, § 1983, and other civil rights statutes
- Pursue and defend contract claims and tort claims for corporate and individual clients
- Adjunct professor at Middlesex University in London
- Guest lecturer at the University of Cincinnati College of Applied Sciences
- Experienced writing instructor and seminar presenter
- Taught paralegal course at Sheridan Community College
- Taught paralegal course at Laramie County Community College
- Teach AEC Professionals about IPD, BIM, Lean Construction and Collaborative Agreements
Collaborative Construction Resources, LLC
President, February 2008 to the present
Senior Associate, December 1999 to February 2008
Associate, September 1996, to December 1999
Adjunct Professor, September 1994 to January 1998
Law Clerk, September 1994, to September 1996
- Creator of the Charitable Doll House concept for Allied Construction Industries, Inc.
- Member, Johnson Elementary School Site Based Decision Making Council
- Co-Chair, Marketing for Johnson Elementary School Fund Raiser
- President, Texas Tech University Alumni Chapter, Cincinnati
- Volunteer Mediator, Kentucky and Ohio Courts
- President, Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Texas Tech University
- Texas Tech University (B.A., 1991)
- University of Cincinnati (J.D., 1994)
- Certified Mediator, Administrative Office of the Courts, Kentucky
Available upon request
Welcome to the Collaborative Revolution!
James L. Salmon, Esq.
300 Pike Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202