Friday, March 2, 2012

Canadian BIM & IPD



I wrote a note to my Canadian friends today updating them regarding the integrated proejct delivery (IPD) events I presented at in Canada in January and I thought I would share it with readers of the blog as well.
 
Last August, when I learned I would be presenting at the Western Canadian Construction Superconference in Calgary in January, 2012, I reached out to my Canadian contacts to gauge interest in a series of collaborative workshops.  Fortunately, Summit BIM and Altus Group agreed to sponsor events in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.
 
The workshops were designed to introduce participants to IPD and building information modeling (BIM) and to stimulate conversation, debate and a robust exchange of ideas among the attendees.  Based on the responses I've gotten from attendees over the past month the workshops were a success.  I've had substantive conversations regarding IPD, BIM and the lean processes required to implement those tools effecitvely with dozens of colleagues in Canada and everyone is interested in learning more and identifying a viable path forward.
 
In my view the best path forwarded is multi-pronged.  First, the built industry - and the financial stakeholders in the industry such as lenders, insurers and sureties - need to substantively grapple with the question of how to modernize the mechanisms whereby institutional owners - public and private - procure planning design and construction services from integrated teams capable of delivering BIM enabled infrastructure.  Second, those institutional owners need to recognize the value of BIM enabled infrastructure and work with their industry partners to ensure delivery of such infrastructure.  Third, and most importantly, owners need to begin procuring, operating and maintianing BIM enabled infrastructure in ways that reduce the recurring costs of operations and maintenance over the lifecycle of the infrastructure.  Success will mean many billions in savings for owners as well as more rewarding work for those in the built industry that delivery BIM enabled infrastructure.
 
The foregoing is, of course, a formidable challenge, but a challenge rife with opportunity.  Entities and individuals in the built industry who sieze the opportunity will emerge with more nimble and more profitable business models and more cost effective infrastructure.   IPD Procurement Programs may be an important part of the solution.  Attached is an advance courtesy copy of an article I wrote for the AUGIWorld Magazine that will be published in March that tackles the issue of IPD Procurement Programs.  I've written a number of articles, as Editor of the BUILT - BIM to FM Section of the magazine that address issues related to efforts to deploy IPD and BIM in the built industry. 
 
Institutional owners must seize a leadership role on these issues, but others in the built industry will have to participate in good faith as well.  The current system of creating lonely BIM - what I call variously jumbled BIM blocks, Humpty Dumpty BIM or BIM in Braille on a Rubick's cube - in a series of silos is inefficient and ultimately unworkable.  BIM enabled infrastructure - which is both cost effective and green - can only be achieved by integrated teams working closely with owners.
 
If you are interested in working with Collaborative Construction, or you know someone or some entity that is, please contact me.  I'll be on the road today, but I can be reached on my cell phone at 512-630-4446 and I will be in the office all week next week.
 
I look forward to hearing from you and working with you to deploy IPD and BIM solutions through your organization.
 



Welcome to the Collaborative Revolution!
James L. Salmon, Esq.
Collaborative Construction
300 Pike Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202

Summary of Services and James L. Salmon's CV

Office 513-721-5672
Fax 513-562-4388
Cell 512-630-4446
JamesLSalmon@gmailcom
Collaborative Construction Website
Sustainable Land Development International

No comments: